When I saw her at Goodwill, I knew she had potential despite her apparent penchant for the early 90’s.
But this was clearly going to take some work.
I started off by peeling her bald.
Ahh. Much better already.
I first found out about Hobby Lobby’s boxwood bushes from Miss Mustard Seed’s tutorial. But alas, there was no Hobby Lobby here until yesterday, and I had no idea at the time that it was even on the horizon. So I took advantage of a free shipping week to order a couple of these:
Marian used longer pieces of greenery than I did for mine. Here’s how I made my cuts.
|Pull off a section at the “joint” as indicated by the arrow.|
|Make your first cut below the top two sections, positioning your cutters directly above the third so that you have some stem left to push into the styrofoam.|
|Make your second cut below the next two sections, once again leaving a piece of stem.|
|Your third cut will come right above the thick part at the bottom, because it’s not easy to push that into the foam.|
|You’ll be left with these. You’ll notice on the middle one that the tippy-top of the stem is a teeny bit fuller, but it’s not at all noticeable on the topiary.|
Pardon the lack of photos for the rest of the process. It was rather tedious and I didn’t have it in me. :) Since my styrofoam was quite rigid, I used toothpicks to make guide holes before poking in the boxwood. I tried to insert the stems in a uniform fashion, like I was moving along lines of longitude and latitude. When I would move over (or up) a line, I would stagger the holes so that they wouldn’t be all in a row. Then I just filled in until it looked right. It may sound complicated, but it really isn’t. Once you’re almost finished, it’s pretty easy to see gaps and take care of them.
The tediousness was worth the end result. (With a new base, by the way, and some floral moss from the Dollar Tree to cover the bottom section of foam.)
A side-by-side contrast delivers a little more impact.
May you henceforth look at ugly topiaries with fresh and hopeful eyes. :)